Between the nostalgia, the symmetry and the compartmentalization that card catalogs offer, they have recently jumped to the top of my 'to find' list.
I've become quite fond of old library furniture lately. I scored myself a nice yellow book return cart with the masking tape scribed 'returns only' still on it. It sends me straight back to elementary school when I was a library volunteer.
So now that I have the return cart I am on the hunt for some good 'ol card catalogs to make into something spectacular. Here are a few inspirational makeover ideas I've been tossing around as of late:
1. Turned into buffet table. Here are the step-by-step instructions from Dream Book Design.
2. Made into a hideaway bar. From Apartment Therapy.
3. As drawers of a desk. From Matthew Fairbanks.
4. Crafted into a credenza. Check out the tutorial from Oakland-Avenue.
5. Used as a coffee table with an industrial twist by adding casters. From stegersaurus31 on flickr (licensed for use under Creative Commons).
(Images: as linked above)