Over two years ago we asked our readers to help pitch their ideas for Treehugger founder Graham Hill's new 420 square feet apartment. Earlier this year we gave a sneak peek at the design concept, and now the project has been completed! With tons of transforming spaces and multipurpose furniture, it's a great exercise in small space living.Graham Hill's new apartment was designed via a competition through his company LifeEdited. A couple of goals were to be able to seat 12 people for dinner, and have space for guests to sleep and work. While the actual apartment is 420 square feet, Hill states that it provides the equivalent functional spaces of a 1100 square foot home. It has all kinds of great space saving features that will work in other people's homes — here are a few highlights:
• A murphy-style bed from amazing small-space furniture distributor, Resource Furniture. The cool thing about it is the shelf flips such that objects do not have to be removed when the bed is lowered.
• A sliding wall on tracks that can enclose the bedroom and create a second sleeping space with bunkbeds, a work zone, and lots of storage behind.
• Undercounter refrigerator and freezer drawer to save space and energy.
• Modular, portable induction cooktops that can be stored away when not in use.
• An expanding dining table from Resource Furniture that stows away within the kitchen island when not in use.
As Treehugger contributor, Lloyd Alter, states, "Most people have to make lots of compromises in comfort and quality to live in New York, and give up a lot of the things that people have in bigger homes, Graham has demonstrates that you don't have to give up a damn thing."
Read More: Visiting Graham Hill's Amazing LifeEdited Apartment at Treehugger
MORE OF GRAHAM HILL'S APARTMENT ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Graham Hill's Ultra Green Renovation in NYC Needs Help
• Submit Your Design Ideas For Graham Hill's Apartment
• Green Home Renovations: The Most Helpful Resources
• Hidden Home Theater and Office Inside Ultra-Compact LifeEdited Apartment