There is something about the delicate grain of wood veneer that I find mesmerizing. The strength of an enormous tree is whittled down to its gossamer essence — wood so thin that it can be bent and woven into stunning and delightful shapes. Take these wisps of wooden warmth and bend them around a bulb, and you have something truly magical indeed.
1. The structured simplicity of a drum pendant shade fashioned of woven ash wood. Woven Veneer Pendant, West Elm $149
2. So much to love about this design. A) You can make it yourself; B) Minimal supplies (i.e. money) needed; C) Shape limited only by your imagination; D) Did I mention you can make it yourself?? Woven Lamp (DIY with Bookhou), Poppytalk. $3.99 HEMMA IKEA cord set plus cost of supplies.
3. Airy randomness in a neat, constructed shape. Birds Nest Hanging Lamp, Serena & Lily $220
4. Crafted of plantation-grown Moso, this striking global pendant is designed using minimal materials for maximum effect. Coral Pendant, Design Within Reach $500
5. Debuted at ICFF 2010, this pendant by Argentinian designer Marcelo Dabini, falls squarely into the “dream” category… Emilia Grande, Weplight. Custom orders, price on request.