Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Lindsey & Hrishikesh
- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our place was built in 1959, and we immediately fell in love with the period built-in nooks and cabinets. Over the years we've lived here, we've updated it to be more modern while trying to stay true to the spirit of the period. The built-in dining table was custom-made by our friend as a wedding present. The stereo cabinet in the living room was originally bought by Lindsey's grandparents in 1968, but we've re-wired it to play through the television and wirelessly stream music. We especially love our kitchen floors, which we re-did with handmade cement tiles from Nicaragua, and the pair of wooden chairs we got from an old farmhouse. And in the afternoons, our place is flooded with light, thanks to our perenially sunny city. All of this makes it a great place for Hrishikesh to work out of during the day, and for Lindsey to come home to each night.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- The biggest challenge, definitely, is the fact that Hrishikesh, a musician, does his writing and recording here at home. We both love minimalist spaces, but unfortunately an apartment full of guitars, keyboards, amps, and cables has forced us to be extremely judicious with how we use the storage space. We turned one closet into the music supply area, and outfitted it with hanging shelves and racks and small drawers to try and keep it all in check and (mostly) out of sight.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We have been daydreaming about making a bench that would go under the living room window. We'd make it to match the period built-in cabinetry. It would be a great place to sit and read or take a catnap. There would be shelves underneath that would be big enough to house our small library of art books and LPs, which are currently relegated to one of the hallway closets and sadly hidden from sight. We've even drawn plans for it! But we haven't had the money to actually bring it to life…yet.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013