Name: Linzi Clary and Spencer Tubbs
Location: Providence, RI
Size: 1,150 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years; Rented
Linzi Clary and her boyfriend Spencer Tubbs have an eye for interiors and share a passion for Mid-century design. Linzi, a fine arts graduate and designer at Speidel, and Spencer, a shopkeeper and musician, moved to Providence two years ago, combining their styles and passions to create one seriously mod and beautiful space that truly reflects their personalities.
Spencer’s musical elements merge effortlessly with Linzi’s 1960s-inspired design and enviable collection of art. The couple is unfazed by DIY projects and they have decorated their apartment on a dime- a feat involving patience, an active imagination, and a good amount of elbow grease to transform their thrifty finds.
Both Linzi and Spencer have been rocking their complementary styles for years, making the space full of elements rich with story and meaning. When other college students were decorating with youthful and clichéd college décor, Linzi and Spencer had hip dorm rooms with record players, red curtains, and framed artwork that made a statement. Now, years later, they continue to develop their strong sense of design and like any successful interior space, their home is constantly evolving. The art, the carefully-curated vintage finds, and the bold pops of color all combine to make this couple’s style just perfect!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Playful Mid-century modern.
Inspiration: Anything 1960s mod.
Favorite Element: Linzi: The bright splashes of color (or anything red!). Spencer: The man couch and shag rug.
Biggest Challenge: Not buying everything from Ikea. I love Ikea and am not ashamed. That or deciding what artwork to hang.
What Friends Say: This is so you.
Biggest Embarrassment: The TV stand droops so we fixed it with a can of vegetable soup that rests on the radiator and supports the sagging center.
Proudest DIY: The 1964 dining chairs that were painted an unfortunate lime green. I stripped the paint (which was a feat in itself), sanded, and stained the chairs. I also reupholstered the seat cushions.
Biggest Indulgence: The red Ikea chair; it was the only thing I paid full price for new (and the only thing over $200).
Best Advice: You really do not need to spend a lot of money. If you want nice things you can buy vintage and fix them up. And just keep your apartment clean- everything looks better clean!
- Bench: made by Linzi
- Cushions: Walmart
- Yellow table: vintage
- Lamp: 1920s fixture original to the apartment
- Bubble paintings: Linzi Clary
- Couch: Ikea
- Big red chair: Ikea
- Round red chair: Craigslist
- Side table: Ikea
- Sensitis print: Herb Lubalin design printed by Lara McCormick
- Coffee table: vintage from Linzi's elementary school with new hairpin legs
- TV stand: Ikea shelf with vintage hairpin legs
- Floral footstool: vintage from Rocket to Mars
- Speakers: passed down to Spencer from his dad
- Record player: Techniques Sl1200mk2
- Theremin: thrift shop
- Crocheted blanket: made by Linzi's great grandmother
- Bob Dylan Poster: Milton Glaser design
- Desk: Ikea top with legs from Lowe's
- Green lamp: Home Depot
- Burke Chairs: vintage (spray painted white)
- Keyboard: Yamaha Clavinova Electric Piano
- Curtains: Ikea
- Bookshelves: Big Lots (painted teal)
- Portrait paintings: Linzi Clary
- Interior painting: Kyle B Turner
- Limes and garlic paintings: Pegean Koch
- Thirteenth Floor Elevators poster: reprint of vintage design
- White drawers: Ikea
- Table: Ikea Doksta
- Chairs: vintage (refinished and reupholstered)
- Hutch: vintage (painted)
- Cat lady screen print: Emily Billings
- Round portrait painting: Linzi Clary
- Bed: Ikea (bought on sale)
- Nightstands: Ikea (bought on sale)
- Dresser: Linzi's family heirloom
- Bedding: Crate & Barrel
- Rug: Crate & Barrel
- Chair: vintage
- Suitcases: vintage
- Lightbulb painting: Linzi Clary
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!