Name: Lisa Bush, owner of Mona Moore, and Scott Vineberg, business designer
Location: Topanga Canyon, Los Angeles, California
Size: 3,000 square feet
Years lived in: 6 years
When I first found Lisa and Scott's super cool industrial space in the hills of Topanga, I knew I just had to photograph their home. Then as we were talking, Lisa mentioned that Barbara Bestor designed the house for them. I was completely sold! It is a very modern industrial home, where the exposed steel frame becomes a kind of art and the landscape and views are a part of the design.
What I found really interesting about Lisa and Scott's decor choices is that they live with what they love instead of following design rules. How about a floral sofa in a home with concrete floors? I approve! And if the architecture and the view aren't enough, their artwork really completes the space. There is a major story behind the painting of the man in the living room — anyone know who he is? All in all, cool couple, fantastic house, stunning view — all making me consider Topanga Canyon as a new Sunday hangout.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Industrial, minimal, with some old school glamour.
Inspiration: Modern utility structures plus sacred geometry temples.
Favorite Element: The super high ceilings.
Biggest Challenge: There are very few interior walls to hang things.
What Friends Say: They want to move to Topanga!
Biggest Embarrassment: The dirty windows, but we think it keeps the birds from flying into them.
Proudest DIY: The 40+ Fruit and olive trees.
Biggest Indulgence: The large glass fleetwood sliding doors.
Best Advice: Work with architect Barbara Bestor.
Dream Source: JF Chen on Highland in Los Angeles
Resources of Note:
- Frigidaire commercial fridge with glass door
- Sub-Zero under counter freezer
- GE monagram ovens
- Speakman shower heads
- Scott's tasteful grandmother Gertrude
- Montreal vintage stores
- Recycled plastic Adirondack chairs from Loll Designs
- Bronze candle sticks - Ted Muehling
- Sheepskins from Union Square Market
- Beeswax tapers - Big Dipper Wax Works
- Vintage linen tea towels - Vintage Expo
- Bauer Pottery
TILES & STONE
Exotic Granite & Marble (8924 Lankershim Blvd. Sun Valley, CA 91352)
- Classic Window Shades ask for Rick
Thanks, Lisa & Scott!
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.