Location: Downtown — Dallas, Texas
Size: 628 square feet
Years lived in: 3 months — Renting
All it took was a glimpse of the magnificent arched windows for Lisa to fall in love with her loft in downtown Dallas. As an architecture enthusiast, the historic Wilson Building, modeled after the Paris Opera House, was the perfect setting for Lisa to create her warm and modern home.
A designer extraordinaire, Lisa's careful editing eye has taken her industrial loft to a new level: downplaying the exposed ventilation with colorful artwork on the walls (many are her own!) and accenting with flares of colorful fabrics to 'cozy-up' the high-ceiling space. Lisa has a modern style all her own; mixing Missoni and IKEA, the space is full of an energy that inspires and influences her creative abilities.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I would describe my style as classic with a modern edge. I go for clean lines and an uncluttered feel, bringing my personality in through color and details, with an emphasis on art
Inspiration: The architecture of a space initially inspires what I will do with it. I love lots of natural light and the colors I choose are influenced by the type of light the space gets.
Favorite Element: The large arched windows in the living room are incredible. The architectural details on the building, which I can see so well from my windows, are exquisite.
Biggest Challenge: I've had to get really creative with storage and extremely organized to make it work.
What Friends Say: They love the character of the space and how cozy it is.
Biggest Embarrassment: I'm still working on organizing my shoes in the closet. In the meantime, they're mostly in a pile.
Proudest DIY: I painted a lot of the art and many of the decorative pillows are my design.
Biggest Indulgence: My Missoni bedspread.
Best Advice: I think it's always smart to keep your upholstery and window treatments, if any, neutral. You can bring in color through accessories and art. It's a lot less expensive to change the look with accessories and art than reupholstering or replacing upholstery and window treatments.
Dream Sources: 1st dibs website
Resources of Note:
- • Sofa: Crate & Barrel
• Chair, Side Table, Coffee Table (trunk) and Side Chair: Flea market/consignment store finds
• Entertainment Center: Ikea
• Desk: Crate & Barrel
• Upholostered Parsons Table w/Storage underneath: custom design
- • Bedspread: Missoni Home
• Love Seat: flea market find that was reupholstered
• Nightstands: both from ebay
• Mirrored Dresser: found dresser at Goodwill and had it lacquered and had mirrored fronts and glass handles made for dresser
• Murano Lamp: ebay
- • Most of the paintings are either my own or from ebay
• All table lamps were flea market, consignment store or ebay finds that I had rebuilt
• Decorative pillows on living room sofa are Michele Varian
• All other decorative pillows are my design
• Boiled wool throw on living room sofa from Sabira Collection
Images: Micki Howl
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.