On the one hand, estate sales are rather depressing. Following a person's passing (in this case in May 2011), their belongings are collected together and sold off to the highest bidder. But on the other hand, an estate auction is an exciting event because it allows fans to get a little bit closer to the person they esteem.
New York auction house Roland Antiques is selling off Mr. Laurents' personal affects in June. Titled The Way He Was, the auction dispenses everything from awards to furniture, along with lots of artwork, both show related and personal.
1. Photo of Arthur Laurents
2. Late Regency Mahogany Writing Desk
3. Theoni V. Aldredge "La Cage..." Costume Design framed sketch. Signed and inscribed at lower right: "The Single Earring was a Fabulous Idea! / My Love to You Always / Theoni V. Aldredge" in pencil.
4. Late 19th C. Victorian Walnut Desk
5. Irene Sharaff, "Hallelujah Baby" Costume Design Sketch. Signed and inscribed at bottom right "Arthur Baby-Hallelujah! With love from Irene. 1967."
6. Queen Anne Style Walnut Wing Chair
7. Ben Shahn, Gouache on Paper. A gouache on paper depicting a man with an ice cream cone and three flavored scoops. Signed lower right, "Ben Shahn".
8. "Gypsy" - Pencil Portrait: Angela Lansbury. Bust-length, 3/4 profile depiction of Angela Landsbury, inscribed "Gypsy"/1974" at lower right.
9. Robert Randolph, "Gypsy": Two Set Designs. Created for the 1974 production of "Gypsy" starring Angela Lansbury. Comprises a design titled: "Burlesque" at bottom right and another [on blue paper] titled "Railroad". Both matted together.
10. Group of Assorted Articles
Preview dates for the auction are May 30 through June 1 at Roland Antiques, 80 East 11th Street, New York. The auction itself takes place on June 2 at Roland Antiques and also online via Live Auctioneers.
MORE INFORMATION: Roland Antiques
Images: Roland Antiques