Yesterday, we showed you living rooms without rugs; today we're looking at living rooms with rugs on carpets in answer to reader MODERnestS's lament that carpet prevented them from having a rug in their living room. While this may seem like a decorating taboo, it's one that must be broken when many rentals come with wall-to-wall carpeting; upholding this rule would mean severely limiting your decorating choices. Here are some examples from our house tours that show you how it can be done right...
- Peggy's White and Light: A textured rug over neutral carpet; this may be our favorite example of the successful pairing of carpet and rug.
- Greg's Palm Springs in the Suburbs: A neutral carpet can handle a bold rug.
- Sam's Sydney Simplicity: Over a patterned carpet, try a simple rug with lots of texture.
- Rhiannon and Victor's First "Grown Up" Home. A simple graphic rug laid on plain carpeting; the rug complements the carpet's grey tones.
- Jeanine's Smooth and Soulful Home: Another example of a graphic rug used on neutral carpet.