While a getaway is highly desirable, often, due to work or other life commitments one just isn't in the cards. The occasionally reviled term "staycation" was coined to describe the idea of vacationing at home, and while the word might not be just what you want to hear, the concept could be just the thing. Having a local escape can be a great pickup, and a way to learn new things about where you live. Here are our 5 tips for how to enjoy your city like a tourist.
- Go to the "Best": Grab a food guide you respect and follow their recommendations. Exploring via food is a fun thing to do when on vacation, so why not try it at home? Besides, you know you've always wanted to drink that "best latte" and critique that "best pizza."
- Get to the Top: One of the things that is at the top of most tourists' list is to get to well, the top. This could mean climbing a local landmark or simply taking the escalator up to the top floor of a well known local skyscraper. Give this a try and see your city in a whole new light.
- Hop on the Bus: A dear friend who works in fashion swears that whenever she feels stressed out and overwhelmed there's nothing like taking a double decker bus tour. I've taken her advice and must admit that I also found it pretty relaxing, and managed to learn a bit more about the place I call home.
- Take a Historical Tour: Whether in the form of a walking tour or a tour through a landmark property, historical tours given by guides who know their stuff are a great way to discover more about your city.
- Museum Blitz it Up: You know those passes that tourists buy so they can see several museums in one day? Well, don't buy those — you can almost certainly get a better deal as a local with an annual membership — but do go on a museum blitz. In the rush of daily life it can be easy to overlook museum gems in your city, so take a weekend to visit a few of them and soak it all in.
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)