When we emailed Jeremy to say his timing was perfect because we're actually thinking about making a platform bed ourselves (we've asked for instructions), he wrote:We slept on it last night and it felt like a bed frame should feel = solid. Assembly is pretty easy, took about 20 mins to assemble once it was all built.
My side shelves will look a lot like these from AT, btw--I actually this idea before I saw your post about them. But they will match the bed and the headboard in wood and color.
My previous platform bed I made from the directions in ReadyMade Modern. That bed is bulky, heavy (easily 200lbs) and made from plywood. Because we may be moving to a 3rd story apartment in Boston that lacks an elevator, I needed a bed that could be broken down into its individual components, which this one does nicely.
I may even make long cloth bags for the side boards so that they don't get damaged/ scratched from the move.
• How To: Make a Platform Bed on the Cheap
• How To: Build a Platform Bed
• Look!: DIY Platform Bed with Storage
• How To: Lori2's Mom's Platform Bed
• Good Questions: Ideas for King Size Platform?
• SF Good Questions: Low Platform Bed with Inset Legs?
• LA Good Questions: The Standard Hotel Platform Bed?