Since we've been looking for ways to maximize the use of a small balcony or outdoor area (see here
to catch up) we've run across a lot of the same kinds of ideas: tier plants, keep it clutter free, make sure you have a comfy place to sit, etc. But never would we have thought of this idea for growing a canopy of vines on a balcony
From flickr user living in penny's
This is my balcony garden. I wanted to have a canopy of greenery to have a feeling of intimacy. I build the trellis with copper pipe metal and bamboo.
The 3 retro chairs ( 2 orange and 1 black) were bought @ graigslist 3/$20.00
The Bacchus wall sconce is a garage sale find for $5.00
1. At the front vine plant called Clematic.
2. the other vine plant is called Silver Lace .
3. On the wall are Snake Plant better known as "Mother-in-Law's Tongue".
4. On the ledge are Geranium.
5. The climbing plants at the front rail are vegetable plants called "Bitter Melon"
Last year I plant Morning Glory climbing on the trelis but it was very messy at the end of summer.
Great job, Penny. Love this idea for creating some privacy, and the whimsical feeling of it reminds us of time spent in France, eating under a canopy of flowering vines, watching the sun set. We also love how budget friendly the project is! Never underestimate the power of craigslist and some vision.