John and Yoko famously had their bed-in, in which they spent two weeks in bed as a way to promote peace. Fast forward to 2010 and our own Maxwell Ryan spent a year in bed to promote better sleep. OK, he didn't actually spend an entire year in bed — but he did spend a year testing a new mattress in his own home every month. Let's look back at his findings...
Maxwell's Top Ten Mattresses:
- Danny Seo Natural Care Mattress by Simmons As a friend of Danny's Maxwell was initially reticent about reviewing his mattress. What if he didn't like it? What if it got a bad review? All that worry over nothing! It turns out that this was the top ranking mattress, getting high marks for its sleep experience, construction and price. It doesn't look like Danny Seo-branded mattress is available today but Simmons still produces a Natural Care line.
- NaturaLatex Tranquil by Natura This mattress actually tied for first place in Maxwell's ranking. While he didn't initially have a positive experience with foam mattresses, this one proved to be just right. Maxwell rated it as "excellent" for sleep and "very good" for construction and price.
- The Hastens Excelsior II While this mattress reviewed well, at just over $13,000 it's an investment piece.
- Savoir No. 2 Bed - "The Savoy" What's it like to sleep on a $15,000 bespoke mattress? Excellent - but not at first. Maxwell reports, "You have to get used to this bed. For a $15k bed, we were both amazed at what a lumpy first impression it made. The horsehair topper settled big-time over our thirty days."
- The Royal Sovereign "Concerto LS" Maxwell reported an excellent sleep experience and very good construction but the $5,000 price tag kept this mattress from ranking higher.
- The Keetsa Pillow Plus Maxwell was impressed with this eco-friendly mattress from a small, family-owned company. The sleep experience was excelle