Vignettes -- small groupings of objects -- are not only a pleasing option for decorating your home and for showing off the small collections of art or trinkets you've amassed over the years, they can also make your home look orderly and neat when they're thoughtfully arranged. After the jump, a couple of tricks that help you arrange the objects in your own home...
- Group your objects in odd numbers: For some reason this is most pleasing to the eye
- Group objects together by colour: Put objects together that are all the same colour and suddenly, your collection goes from messy to ordered. You can also group objects by tone. Warm coloured objects (reds, oranges, yellows), cool ones (greens and blues) or metallics.
- Group objects together by kind: For example, a group of square picture frames, balls piled in a basket or curvy perfume bottles.
- Perfectly balanced not so good: Better if some objects are taller and some are shorter. Different levels also work.
- Advanced: Bring in one object that stands out from the rest of the group in some way but still ties in. Try mixing two groups together.
Don't limit your groupings to a coffee table or a book shelf; try it in your linen closet, under your sink or in your clothes closet to bring order to these often messy spaces.