Name: Ryan, Lorena and Rex (the puppy)
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Size: 1,034 square feet
Years lived in: 1— rent
Lorena and Ryan O'Malley live in an awesome retro complex that is a spitting image of Palm Springs in the 1950's. The courtyard is designed around a pool and just outside their doorway they've built a succulent garden. The decor is minimally Mid Century and accented with rich earth tones.
Lorena and Ryan have a great sense of style and appreciation revolving around retro and vintage pieces. Their home is a two level condo, with an office that is open to and overlooks the living room below. This creates a really large sense of space, allowing a ton of natural light to flood the bright walls. Some of the original lighting fixtures and tiles add to the old-school charm. Considering they have a great back yard and are positioned on the ground level, it gives their puppy Rex plenty of options.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mid-Century, retro and simple.
Inspiration: Atomic Ranch, Danish design, using recycled furniture
Favorite Element: The floor to ceiling windows provide a bright and positive atmosphere.
Biggest Challenge: Creating separate spaces in a small, but open layout and eliminating clutter without being impractical.
What Friends Say: Exterior structure: "It looks like a 1950's Palm Springs motel." About our style: We assume they are into it…
Biggest Embarrassment: Vertical blinds and Rex's excavations in our backyard.
Proudest DIY: We're not big DIY people, so the only DIY is the planter at the entrance of our home.
Biggest Indulgence: Brand new couch and chair for the living room and our comfy bed.
Best Advice: Be picky and be patient.
Dream Sources: Atomic Ranch, Eichler design, West Elm.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Dunn Edwards, not sure of the color (it was already painted when we moved in)
EXTERIOR OF FRONT ENTRY
• Plants: Home Depot
• Green Patio Chairs: Garage Sale
• Couch: Macy's
• Accent Pillows: consignment store
• Recliner: Macy's
• Ottoman: bought from a friend who bought it at Macy's
• Coffee Table: Long Beach Flea Market
• Vintage original Florence Knoll Side Table (tulip style): acquired from a business that was getting rid of all old office furniture (*for free*)
• Magazine Rack: Salvation Army in San Clemente
• Flying ducks wall décor: Craigslist
• Bookcase: custom made by our great friend and furniture designer, Joshua Baldwin
• Record Player: gift from Ryan's dad
• Rug: Target
• Bar cart: Craigslist
• Wall décor by bar cart: estate sale
• Dining table and chairs: 1958 Drexel bought on Craigslist
• Canvas art: TJ Maxx
• China cabinet: Declaration by Drexel bought at consignment store
• The rest are thrift finds or were purchased at Target
• Dressers: consignment store
• Floor lamp: Target
• Bed: Macy's
• Bedding: West Elm
• Wall Décor: West Elm
• Bamboo décor: Crate & Barrel
& bull; Wall decor: Garage Sale
• Desk: consignment store
• Dresser: Pack Rat in San Clemente
• Lounge chairs: Those belong to our friends, Trevor and Kassi, but are temporarily in our office until T&K find use for them in their new place. They were inherited from Kassi's grandparents
Thanks, Lorena & Ryan!
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.