Name: Lori + John Glass Residence (designed by Tamara Honey of House Of Honey).
Location: Beachwood Canyon, Los Angeles, California
Size: 2,700 square feet
Years lived in: 6.5 years; Owned
When Lori and John hired Tamara of House of Honey to come redecorate their newborn's nursery, the inspiration and desire to redo spread quickly throughout the entire home. A ton of room accents and accessories, custom lighting design, and some new pieces of key furniture are just some of the changes that were made to make the home what it is today.
One of Lori and John's desires for the redesign was to create a wonderful home for entertaining guests and family. However, by far their favorite thing in their new home is new baby Woodard, of course, and "his new nursery. In particular, his original children’s illustration artwork that we started collecting well before he was born." With the help of Tamara, they have created a cozy home that also has plenty of glamorous touches and a wonderful regal edge.
Enjoying the spacious floor plan and the nice backyard will be an added bonus to watching their son grow up. The lifestyle and culture in LA have certainly affected Lori and John's personal design aesthetic. "It’s definitely put more focus on the indoor/outdoor flow of the house and combining natural elements into the interior."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Functional and clean, with a modern influence.
Inspiration: Conversation pieces, such as our antique rugs, artwork collected during travels, and books.
Favorite Element: The functionality of our floor plan and layout of the living areas.
Biggest Challenge: Same as above – trying to marry one room to the other and create cohesiveness between the rooms without looking too matchy-matchy.
What Friends Say: We didn’t think it looked bad before, but now it looks great!
Biggest Embarrassment: Before the renovations with House of Honey, the fact that the main living room was too dark to read a book — even with large open windows!
Proudest DIY: Building a shelf to match the custom built-ins once we updated our TV technology. John is better at repair style home projects and not known for his finish work.
Biggest Indulgence: Other than the purchase of the home, lighting fixtures.
Best Advice: Painting something white is not always the answer, and white is not always white.
Dream Sources: Ken at Persian Galleries in Brentwood, Tennessee, and House of Honey’s 1st Dibs selections.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- All Benjamin Moore
- Kitchen: Cabinets: Wickham Grey, walls and trim: White
- Living Room: Walls, excepting fireplace wall: White Dove, Fireplace wall: Edgecomb Grey
- Dining Room: White Dove
- Master bedroom: Iron Mountain
- Nursery: White Dove
- Brass and chain link glass sconces, available at House of Honey
- Missoni Throw, available at House of Honey
- Jonathon Adler Horn sculpture, available at House of Honey
- Selection of ceramic half glazed pottery, available at House of Honey
- Jonathon Adler brass and stone Tic Tac Toe board, available at House of Honey
- Crystal Selenite candlesticks, available at House of Honey
- Alexandria Von Furstenbug cheetah print coasters, available at House of Honey
- Wool and Horse hair throw pillows, available at House of Honey
- Vintage ceramic midcentury modern table lamps with Hillary Thomas designer finials, available at House of Honey
- Lucite Letters ‘F’ ‘U’ ‘N’, available at House of Honey
- Large solid iron jack, available at House of Honey
- Crystal Geode, available at House of Honey
- Solid brass ant, available at House of Honey
- Large steel Ibex dining table
- Robert Lewis pendant, available at House of Honey
- Robert Maxwell ceramic vase
- Philippe Starck ghost chairs
- Selection of Vistosi and contemporary ceramic vases, available at House of Honey
- Pair of dwell studio gold urchins, available at House of Honey
- Vintage crystal decanters
- Vintage midcentury modern teak credenza, House of Honey
- Kelly Wearstler throw, available at House of Honey
- Vintage backgammon set, available at House of Honey
- Vintage Lucite and brass hoop chandelier, House of Honey
- Areaware banana bowl, available at House of Honey
- Custom upholstered banquette cushions, Kravet vinyl
- Carrera marble top, tulip base breakfast table
- Missoni Eurosham pillows, available at House of Honey
- Pharmacy task lamps, Restoration Hardware
- Dru metal sculpture, available at House of Honey
- Horn handle magnifier, available at House of Honey
- Sheepskin and wool throw, available at House of Honey
- Vintage carved wood. Leather top Greek key detail night stands, House of Honey
- Walnut crib and changer, Oeuf
- Kravet fabric for Drapery; Electrify in Alloy
- Vintage chrome and brass mod étagère
- Coffee Filter hanging pendant, available through House of Honey
- Dwell studio gold horse and elephant sculptures
Thanks, Lori + John! And a big thanks to Tamara Honey!
(Photos: Bethany Nauert)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!