On the search for a historical home or just love looking at significant architecture? My absolute favorite types of homes are those with a history and a lot of character, from the 1920s Spanish Colonial to the Modern Post and Beam. There are realtors and even websites dedicated to architectural homes. I rounded up a few of my favorite Los Angeles firms.
- Rose+Chang: The real estate firm was started by former entertainment lawyer and talent agent, Billy Rose, and realtor Blair Chang. Billy Rose is also a designer who has designed homes for Halle Berry, Diana Ross, Beck, Frankie Muniz, and director/producer McG. The architectural homes that they have sold range in style from Mid-Century modern to Spanish. They even sold the 2008 Esquire House in the Hollywood Hills.
- Deasy/Penner&partners: Deasy/Penner&partners' mission statement is "To celebrate the notion of HOME AS ART." You may have seen their signs around the Los Angeles area. They represent architecturally significant properties from Malibu to Palm Springs. Some of their more notable sales include homes designed by Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, Ray Kappe, Frank Gehry, and Steven Ehrlich.
- Crosby Doe Associates: They represent and sell historic and architectural properties in Southern California. The Crosby Doe past sales include homes designed by Charles Eames, Frank Lloyd Wright, John Lautner, Craig Ellwood, Eric Owen Moss, and Stephen Kanner. You may remember that they were the broker behind the sale of the Herb Ritts estate a few years back.
- Rob Kallick: Rob lives in SilverLake and runs the website Take Sunset, which covers everything from real estate, architecture, and things to do in Los Angeles. The Take Sunset Blog features a roundup of Craftsman and Mid-Century Modern homes for sale. The most recent post features the Garbutt House owned by American Apparel founder, Dov Charney.
- Cal Bungalow: Cal Bungalow was started by a team of real estate agents who specialize in bungalow and Craftsman architecture. They promote the attributes of the historical architectural style and support its preservation. The website serves as a resource for bungalow architecture.
Feel free to mention any other realtors that specialize in architecturally significant properties that I may have overlooked.