I tend to leave things until the last minute. So, here I am 30 minutes until the official start to Valentine's Day with no plan. Trying to be creative instead of spending money, I have decided to construct a good old fashioned blanket fort. Read on about how to create your own love shack after the jump!
What you'll need:
- Blankets, quilts, and sheets
- Clothespins, twine
- Fort Decor - twinkle lights, flowers, toss pillows
1. Find a nice open space and drape a lightweight sheet to the back of your sofa, side chairs or dining table. The key is to find something with a little height, so you have at least enough room to sit up straight. You can also create a higher roof by taking twine and anchoring it to two different tall points that span your space, like the top of armoire or the top of door.
2. Tie knots, tuck or use clothespins to secure the sheet(s) to the anchor pieces. Once you have a roof, start filling in the sides with pillows and blankets until you have a cozy space.
3. Now, for the fun part. Decorate! String twinkle lights haphazardly to create a happy glow. Toss in comfy pillows and quilts. Suspend handwritten love notes with clothespins or a favorite photo of you and your sweetie.
I can't wait to build my little love shack and I hope I've given you inspiration too! Happy Valentine's Day!
MORE BLANKET FORTS
• Grown-Up Hideouts: A Wild Things Fort-Building Contest!
• Nature vs. Nurture: A Critique of Couch Cushion Architecture
• WikiHow/How to Make a Blanket Fort
• Simple Mom/How to Build A Great Blanket Fort
• Mark Allen/Couch Cushion Forts/Blanket Forts