Designer: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1886 – 1969
From: Germany; moved to the US in 1944
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is one of the most well known 20th century architects. His work emphasized open space, industrial materials, and structural integrity, and helped define modern architecture and furniture as we know it.Facts:
• Worked in his family's masonry business before he joined the office of Bruno Paul in Berlin.
• Served as director of the Bauhaus from 1930 until it closed in 1933.
• Served as director of architecture at IIT, and developed the master plan for its campus.
Quote: Less is more.
Trained With: Peter Behrens (as did other famous architects, like Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier)
Known for: Skyscrapers, modernism, industrial materials, steel and glass
Representative Pieces Shown Above: (left to right)
1. The Barcelona Chair, 1929
2. Barcelona Pavilion, Barcelona, Spain, 1929
3. MR Lounge Chair, 1931
4. 860-880 Lake Shore Apartments, Chicago, IL 1951
5. Farnsworth House, Plano, IL, 1951
6. S.R. Crown Hall, Chicago, IL, 1956 via
7. Seagram Building, New York City, NY, 1958
Mies van der Rohe On the Web:
(Images: As linked above)