Matt's Macintosh, a YouTube vlogger, with a handful of free solid picks for streamlining your workflow... Matt's Top Free Mac Application Picks:
- Alfred: Alfred is a smarter version of OS X spotlight, a keyboard-driven productivity application, helping you launch apps and search your local computer as well as the web with great speed. As the name implies, it's always ready to assist when navigating your files.
- Mactracker: Very useful when you're in the process of upgrading your machine. Mactracker provides detailed information on every Apple Macintosh computer ever made, including items such as processor speed, memory, optical drives, graphic cards, supported Mac OS versions, and expansion options.
- Sketchbook Express: If you're the artistic type and are looking for a free painting/illustrating application, Sketchbook Express offers a decent array of tools and up to 6 layers to work with. When you're ready to bump up to more expansive tool options there's a much more expensive pro edition.
- Dateline: Keeping an eye on your calendar is made easier with this heads up display of all your events and tasks on your desktop. You can customize what's displayed, including a selection of foreign languages and up to 69 days in advance (this app isn't free; $5.99)
- Mirage Dock: Matt mentions this app for creating a clear dock in OS X, but it isn't available any longer. The same effect can be had using TransDock X
- Linen Wallpaper Desktop