Choosing kitchen countertops can be an eco headache, considering that many natural hard surface options are traveling from a quarry thousands of miles away. That's why I was intrigued to learn about a quartz product called Cambria, which is mined right here in North America.
Cambria is the only quartz surface product manufactured in the USA, which reduces the environmental impacts of transportation. The material comes in a wide range of colors, from minimal monochromatic options to organic styles that resemble granite. Pricing is similar to other solid surface products and is estimated at about $60/SF installed. In addition to their location, here are a few other ways the company is aiming to improve their product and practices:
- 100% of the water in their production plants in recycled.
- All diamond-metal tooling is re-tooled and reused.
- Scrap material is collected and used as road base material for local construction projects.
- A-frame shipping crates that transport slabs and fabricated product are recycled and refurbished.
- Cambria works with their mining partners to ensure that quarries are fully restored after quartz extraction.
Read More: Cambria Quartz
(Image: Cambria USA)