Name: Maggie Morgan of Maggie Rose & Ryan Stephens
Location: Upper Queen Anne — Seattle, Washington
Size: About 700-800 square feet (2 bedroom, 1 bath)
Years lived in: 1.5 years — rented
I was so excited to see my friend, Maggie Morgan, featured in an Apartment Therapy House Call a few months ago, that I called her up to book her full house tour. Maggie and Ryan live in a charming, open space in Upper Queen Anne that is wall-to-wall with painted, hardwood floors and energetic touches of color.
Maggie prides herself on being able to create a modern, yet comforting space on a low budget. As a full-time blogger and owner of Maggie Rose, a DIY style and decor service blog, she is constantly on the lookout for innovative and creative ideas to create a beautiful space in a practical way.
Situated on the top floor of a split level apartment building, their home is elegant and calming while still hosting vibrant, delightful details at every turn such as a bright, turquoise vase or a tongue-in-cheek wall-hanging. I hope you enjoy the tour as much as I enjoyed photographing it!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Traditional with a dash of modern.
Inspiration: Combining our two apartments to this shared one, and working with what we had on a restricted budget was our biggest inspiration. Natural textures, muted colors, and unique details are elements we returned to time and again.
Favorite Element: Ryan: The record album shelf/window seat. Maggie: I love how the paint color in the office turned out.
Biggest Embarrassment: Ryan: I'd like a new desk. Maggie: If we owned the house, I'd gut the kitchen and bathroom and remodel them both. And paint the purple stairs (I might do that anyway).
Proudest DIY: We refinished the dining room table last summer. Working with what we have until we can afford something we love.
Biggest Indulgence: The rug in the living room. We want a second one for the bedroom!
Best Advice: Decorate over time for a layered and collected look. That way your home evolves with you and your changing tastes (plus it's easier on the wallet).
Resources of Note:
- • Ostrich photo: Brooklyn Limestone
• Table: Target (with plans for a linen table skirt)
• Marbled paper: Paper Mojo
- • Rug: Surya, "Continental"
• Coffee table: West Elm
• Big lamp: CB2
• Smaller floor lamp: Ikea with DIY shade
• Window seat: Ikea Expedit with DIY cushion.
• Pillows: handmade
• Curtains: Ikea
• Animal watercolors: Etsy seller, Dimdi
- • Paint color: "Mocha Cream" by Benjamin Moore.
• Nail-trim console table: The Company Store
• Mirror: Cost Plus World Market
• Bar cart: vintage
• Floating shelves: Storables
• "For Like Ever" print: Village
• Ladder shelves: Target
- • Island: Ikea
• Trash can: Simple Human
• Chandelier: vintage
- • Paint color: "White Wisp" by Olympic
Bed: Crate and Barrel
Lamps: TJ Maxx with Lamps Plus shades
Painting: done by Maggie
Curtains: Pottery Barn
- • Paint color: "Winter Calm" by Valspar.
• Ryan's chair: Dania
• Corkboard: Storables
• Maggie's desk: Parsons from West Elm
• Maggie's chair: vintage, refinished
• Maggie's pinboard: DIY by Maggie
• Curtains: Ikea
• File boxes: See Jane Work
• Desk lamps: both Ikea
• "Blogs and Coffee" print: Made By Girl
Thanks, Maggie & Ryan!
Images: Andie Wurster
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.