A truly clean home is hard to come by. Sure you can remember to dust your bookshelves and wipe down your countertops, but when's the last time you polished your cooktop or brightened your bathroom grout? No matter how housekeeping you feel you may be, there are tons of surprisingly dirty spots sprinkled throughout your space that are super easy to miss.
If you know where to look beforehand, you can make a point of minding the details during your next cleaning session. And while it might come off as a little hardcore for the average housekeeper, remembering to handle the minutiae can make a world of impact while cleaning your home—and likely only add a few minutes to your normal routine. So read on for 45 ways to deep clean your place like a pro.
In the bathroom and kitchen
- Polish fixtures.
- Soak shower heads in vinegar.
- Brighten shower grout with bleach.
- Clean and rinse stovetop burners.
- Shine stainless steel kitchen appliances.
- Clean and polish your glass cooktop.
- Wipe off oven hood and shine, if necessary.
- Polish oven glass.
- Scrub down bathtub rings with baking soda and vinegar.
- Clean out buildup in shower door tracks.
- Squeegee glass shower doors.
- Wash (or replace) shower curtains and liners.
- Wax the bathtub.
- Clean toilet seats, including bolts.
- Shine bathroom mirror and frame.
- Clean out inside of kitchen and bathroom drawers.
- Polish kitchen backsplashes.
- Clean refrigerator coils and seal.
- Soak and degrease your stove filter vents.
- Clean and polish bathroom and kitchen sink and drains.
- Clean and polish kitchen cabinet fronts and knobs.
- Scrub the inside of your oven and wash the racks.
- Wipe down oven and stove knobs.
- Clean your dishwasher with baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice.
In bedrooms and living rooms
- Lint roll your lampshades.
- Vacuum window treatments (with a brush attachment).
- Sweep and mop under furniture.
- Spot clean carpets and rugs (or rent a professional-grade cleaner).
- Vacuum furniture cushions and upholstery (with brush attachment).
- Dust off art and picture frames with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Launder all your throws and throw pillow covers.
- Wipe down blinds with a damp cloth.
- Dust electronics (don't forget under, too).
- Dust the tops of books on bookshelves.
- Polish wood furniture (dressers, tables, chairs, etc.).
- Clean blades of ceiling fans.
- Dust light fixtures (including bulbs).
- Wipe down moldings and ceiling trims.
- Clean baseboards and floor trims.
- Spot clean walls with damp microfiber cloth.
- Dust and vacuum window sills.
- Clean and buff glass windows.
- Run air vents through the dishwasher.
- Wash door fronts, knobs, and switch plates.
- Sweep, vacuum, and polish all floors.