Since I have neither the space for a dresser nor the strength to carry one up to my third-floor apartment, I came up with an alternative: a simple shelf of bins to hold my socks and more...
- The plywood was, if I recall correctly, purchased from Building REsources in Bayview for next to nothing.
- I've written before about the crucial role vintage shelf brackets play in my apartment, and this is one of my favorite sets. They look so lovely with the light shining through them.
- The bins are the Rhombus Bins from The Container Store- though I certainly don't remember paying $14.99 each for them!
- One bin is for socks, tights, and leggings, one for underthings & jammies, and one for items such as tank tops that don't need to be hung in the closet.
- The shelf is 6'6" off the floor: tall enough to avoid poking most people in the eye, but well within my reach (I'm 5'11"). The height ensures that the contents of the bin won't be seen, even if they happen to get a bit too full.
- That's my homemade glass ornament swag hanging from the brackets- obviously I'm in no hurry to take down the bits of holiday sparkle!
Images: Tess Wilson