Each year we travel from Los Angeles to Sydney with two small kids. 13 hours on a plane. Dante definitely would have added another ring of Hell for this particular experience. Although, I have to admit as the kids older the travel gets easier and one of the reasons for that is technology. We'll be armed with iPads, a DS and Kindles. Around the 6 hour mark where you know you've got at least another 6 hours to go those stupid rules about no-screens fly out the window. What do you do when time-tested faves like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Fling and Sudoku wear thin? Read on to find out...and please please please let me know of any others. I would love to add to our repertoire.
1. The Classics. This is where we mine the free books for the Kindle on Amazon. Starting with Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know and working our way toward Treasure Island. The trick here is to load the Kindle up so there's lots to choose from. They may only start the book but eventually one of the stories will stick.
2. Movies from iTunes. There will be movies on the plane but best to let them choose ones they really want to see (and ones you approve!) You can buy them on iTunes or rent them and they will watch them on their iPads.
3. Harvest Moon for the DS. A video game suggested to me by an Unplggd reader. It's like Farm Story but you can actually turn it off and everything stays as you left it. Nice.
4. Don't Let The Pigeon Run This App This looks brilliant. We are all fans of Mo Willems in this house and his new app featuring the beloved and cheeky pigeon looks perfect for a long plane ride.
5. Magic School Bus for the iPad. Both the kids love this series and don't know it's been updated fror the iPad so will surprise them with this Oceans classic.