It is no secret we love handmade finds here at Re-Nest, so why not share the love and commitment? Buy Handmade is a pledge to purchase handmade items for you, your loved ones, and to ask others to do the same when buying for you. I love this collaborative and quick pledge to help spread the word and the love for handmade.
The Buy Handmade Pledge
The pledge is an online commitment to buy handmade for yourself and your loved ones along with asking those people to do the same for you. With almost 53,000 signatures, it is a great symbol of handmade buying power and commitment. The pledge is a collaborative effort by Etsy, Design*Sponge, IndiePublic, Austin Craft Mafia, Burdastyle, Craftster, Craft Magazine, Interweave, and the American Craft Council. Re-Nesters rarely need encouraging to check out amazing handmade goodies, so it is nice to see we are in good company. It is also a great conversation starter for anyone set on getting you a gift.
Handmade Is Great Because...
They have a personal connection, are created with love and intention, usually have a reduced impact, support the artists directly, support alternative economic systems, promote local over global consumption, and often communicate love purely by being handmade.
Check out this great list of reasons by handmade buyers and sellers for more ideas. Also, check out Cambria's post on why consuming less isn't enough to create a sustainable lifestyle.
Online Handmade Marketplaces
There seems to be no shortage of handmade items, nor marketplaces. Here are some of our top choices from around the globe:
- Artfire: Not just for paintings and original art pieces, this marketplace is now open to all sorts of handmade goods.
- ArtFlock: This is the UK's version of Artfire.
- Best of Handmade - This site searches multiple handmade sites at once.
- DaWanda: This is Europe's version of Etsy.
- Etsy: This is easily the largest global online community of handmade goods.
- Folksy: This is the UK's online shop for handmade items.
- iCraft: This is Canada's own Etsy-esque online community.
- MadeitMyself: This site is similar to Etsy as an online community of handmade buyers and sellers.
- Shop Handmade: This has a slight eco twist to the traditional craft store listings with carbon mitigation and rainforest conservation donations.
- Ten Thousand Villages: This is both an online store and a brick and mortar shop that features fair trade items from around the World.
- Try Handmade: This site highlights and shares handmade finds and shops.
See also Buying Handmade: 6 Other Online Marketplaces and Buying Handmade: 15 International Online Marketplaces.
Sign the Pledge today!
(Images: Faythe Levine)