- Add seating. Enjoy a nice view and a good breeze by adding a couple of small chairs to a balcony, or transform a deep windowsill into a seat.
- Use a tiered planter. A stepstool (like the inexpensive IKEA Bekvam shown here) is a great way to make more room for plants.
- Make use of a ledge. It raises plants up to be closer to the sun, frees up storage space underneath, and makes a row of potted plants look neat and organized.
- Dine alfresco. If you've got enough room for a tiny folding table or chair, enjoy your breakfast or a glass of wine on the balcony.
- Bring the outdoors inside. Small Cool contestant Catherine made the most of her tiny balcony by keeping the French doors open, setting some potted plants on the ledge, and setting a planter filled with easy-to-care-for grass above the doorway.
SHOWN ABOVE • Sandy and Joe's Bewitching Home • Mihaela's Zen Jungle Balcony • Schiang's Balcony • Escapes: Out on the Balcony • Catherine's Urban Garden • RELATED: 10 Ideas for Tiny Balconies Photos: Adrian Wilson, Mihaela, Schiang licensed via Creative Commons, Pink Fish, Catherine