The mantelpiece is the traditional place of honor for holiday decor: stockings, garlands, and wreaths all come to mind. If you're looking for a way to buck convention and dress your mantel in something less holiday-themed, we recommend checking out Etsy shop 5 Gardenias, whose product photos offer lots of ideas for styling the mantel with vintage objects...
Based in Buffalo, New York, the Etsy shop is run by a jewelry maker and vintage collector. 10 percent of any vintage item sold goes to the American Cancer Society.
IDEAS WE LOVE
• String necklaces or beads across the mantel in place of traditional garlands.
• Use cigar boxes as risers for objects.
• Lean artwork along the mantel ledge for a casual look.
• Raid your pantry for good-looking dishes to put on display.
• For an orderly, utilitarian look, line the mantel with a collection of drinking glasses.
• 1 Covered Custard Pots, $14.50
• 2 Autumn Leaves Cascade Necklace, $110
• 3 Gouache Flower Painting, $42
• 4 Art Deco Necklace, $68
• 5 Sunny Day Enamel Bowl, $38
• 6 Holiday Glassware, $32.50
• 7 Hammered Aluminum Mid-Century Covered Bowl, $15.50
• 8 Reverse Painted Horse on Glass, $18.50
For all available items from 5 Gardenias, click here.