Name: Marianna & Micah Whitson
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts
Size: 1,000 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years; Rented
Moving north for their advertising jobs, Marianna and Micah have created a comfortable place that celebrates both their roots and their current locale. From North Carolina and Alabama, the pair has even built a business around sharing slices of the south with those who miss it like they do. Though their letterpress prints are only some of the memories this place holds for home.
Before starting Old Try, Marianna and Micah were already lovers of letterpress. You'll spot prints all over their space; their guest room has posters from Nashville's historic Hatch Show Prints. Micah even proposed on a poster, and although it had to be screenprinted to be done in time for Christmas with the family, Marianna said yes anyway.
Touches of family and history fill their space. A relative's reading glasses rest on the bookshelf, an old barn desk repurposed into a coffee table, a vintage lacrosse stick (Marianna played and now coaches) hangs on the wall. Marianna's grandfather built each of his granddaughters writing desks, and hers lives in the guest room, under a vintage North Carolina flag. Visually, the fireplace is the main draw, and nothing illustrates their mixing of the past and present better. Jars line the mantel filled with cotton and cranberries, clothespins and seashells. There's also an empty one, awaiting new memories.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: We wanted our apartment to feel homey and comfortable, with clean lines and unique accents.
Inspiration: We're inspired by all kinds of things — If we're awake, we're looking for inspiration. We love colors and nature, Tar Heel basketball and Ole Miss football, type and logos, traditional and modern.
Favorite Element: Bus Roll Signs — Micah was born in Huntsville and grew up in the region where this 1946 Greyhound rambled, so many of the cities on the signs are places he knows well.
Biggest Challenge: Combining our styles and making the most of our limited space.
What Friends Say: "Man, it sure took a long time to get out here on the 77. Oh my gosh, I love your house!"
Biggest Embarrassment: Guest room. We haven't spent much real time decorating it since guests are rare, and we hope it'll be turned into a nursery in the near future. It's just embarrassing because it's so mismatched compared to the rest of our house.
Proudest DIY: Coffee Table (even though we had no idea what we were doing!).
The table used to be a tall desk from an old barn in Arkansas. We weren't using it and needed a coffee table, so one day we decided to cut the legs down. That worked pretty well, so we decided to sand the finish, too. Our inexperience with a belt sander shows, but the desk was already weathered and worn, so it just adds character.
Biggest Indulgence: Herman Miller Mirra desk chair
Best Advice: Keep clutter to a minimum — try to make sure that all tchotchkes are meaningful to you or bring something specific to a room.
Dream Sources: West Elm, Design Within Reach, Brimfield Antiques Show, Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co.
Resources of Note:
- • Benjamin Moore Aura Pebble Creek
• Entry Table - Crate and Barrel
• Bench - Crate and Barrel via Craigslist
• 3 Prong Coat Green Coat Rack - CB2
• Blue Bowl - Crate and Barrel
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Cream Fleece
• Benjamin Moore Aura - Crisp Khaki (fireplace wall)
• Tux Chair in Green Leather - Crate and Barrel Outlet
• Couch, Arm Chair and Ottoman - West Elm
• Striped Pillows - DIY - fabric from Joann's
• Yellow Pillows - Crate and Barrel
• Patterned Pillow - Greece (the country)
• Sloane Leaning bookcases in Espresso - Crate and Barrel via Craigslist
• Printmaker's Media Console - Restoration Hardware
• Gray Rug - One King's Lane find
• Dodo and Sea Fan Coral Art - One King's Lane finds
• Barn Star - Viva Terra
• Wooden MW letters - Anthropologie
• Vintage Lacrosse Stick - Ebay
• London Print - Etsy
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Nimbus
• Basque Table and Chairs in Honey - Crate and Barrel
• Sideboard - Pottery Barn via Craigslist
• Blue Dhurrie Rug - One King's Lane find
• Bar Stools - Boston Interiors via Craigslist
• Map Hearts Art - Etsy
• Bus Roll Signs - Ebay
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Wales Green
• Curtains - DIY with Ikea fabric
• Red bowl - Alessi
• White Window Planters - One King's Lane find
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Good Morning Sunshine
• Cabot Collection Bed, Dressers, Nightstands in Cognac - Crate and Barrel
• Brown Rug - Pottery Barn via Craigslist
• Fairfield Porter print - Highland Farmhouse 1969 - Allposters.com
• Oil Painting - my grandmother, Mary Ann Hogue
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Summer Shower
• Orange Cubitec Shelving - Design Within Reach via Craigslist
• Bed and Nightstand - Crate and Barrel
• Writing Desk - my grandfather, Cyrus Hogue
- • Benjamin Moore Aura - Stratton Blue
• Red Table - Ikea
• Blue chairs - City of Durham auction (reupholstered)
• Short table - BluDot
• Expedit White bookcase - Ikea
• Prant Storage Bins - Ikea
• Desk - CB2
• Mirra Task Chair - Design Within Reach
• Suit Youself carpet in Pumice - Flor
• Drafting Cabinets - School Outfitters
• Obama Change Print - Shep Fairey
• Miami Okla Pennant - Ebay
• Letterpress Prints - Old Try
Thanks, Marianna & Micah!
(Images: Tara Bellucci )
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.