Mark's DIY Case Study Bed

Reader Project

Mark McMorris sent us in an email outlining a project he took on to create a DIY version of the Case Study Bed. Here is his story: I wanted to share my Case Study project if I could. I saw the Case Study Day Bed a while back and was taken back by its clean lines and crazy hairpin legs. The design kept me up nights thinking I had seen it before. Well I was right, my dear sweet Granny had a bright orange one in her home when I was in high school about 100 years ago.The next few nights were spent wondering where it went when Granny moved. No luck so I set out this past summer to see if it was something I could do myself.

Well other than threading the needle on the sewing machine for Granny when she started collecting quilting squares, I stayed away from the sewing machine. I was given an old machine by a friend who was fed up with sewing. I purchased a few DVD's on upholstery, and stopped in a few local upholstery shops and became painfully aquainted with foam and fabric, asked questions, made a materials list and started shopping. What you see is the result.

I spoke to the designer at Hairpinlegs.com, But he didn't carry the legs in stainless steel in the thickness I needed to support the sofa at the height I needed. He did agree they should be thicker.The hairpin legs were designed on a free 3D software package called Sketchup and printed out and taken to a local welding shop, Greens Welding & Repair in Westland Michigan. They came out perfect! I hope I did the design justice.

Wow! Wonderful job - thanks for sharing, Mark!

26 Comments