Name: Mark Brosmer
Location: Eagle Rock - Los Angeles, California
Size: 1200 square feet
Years lived in: 11 years
Mark's home is one of six Spanish style bungalows, built in the 1930's and 1940's, that surround the historic Eagle Rock in Northeast Los Angeles. The house sits on a long private driveway that is shared with his neighbors. Everyone is very friendly and even the dogs stop by to say hello. It feels like one big commune and Mark loves it!
The property grounds are quite impressive. The backyard has a view of "the rock" of Eagle Rock — you can actually walk right down to the rock from Mark's place. There is hardly any barrier between the indoor and outdoor space, especially with the floor to ceiling windows in the front of the house. Did you catch one of my favorite fun exterior decor elements? An outdoor disco ball! Great for summer parties.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Retro cabin mod.
Inspiration: California. Open to eccelectic finds, not too specific.
Favorite Element: Extension to the outdoors through the many windows and sliding glass doors.
Biggest Challenge: Moving in, the house was a dump and in need of love and paint.
What Friends Say: The house wraps you up like a cocoon.
Biggest Embarrassment: Cottage cheese ceiling in living room.
Proudest DIY: A tree in the backyard fell and opened up a stunning view of Eagle Rock. I created a patio (pea gravel) area now known as "the perch."
Biggest Indulgence: Oviedo chair from Restoration Hardware
Best Advice: Paint the exterior walls and trim the same dark putty color. This causes the plant life surrounding the house to stand out.
Dream Sources: TINI, St. Vincent de Paul (Circa 1991-96)
Resources of Note:
- O'Keefe Merritt stove from St. Vincent de Paul - $69!
- Some of the furniture was left behind by my ex-roommate and now neighbor, Randy. He has an extensive collection of furniture and accessories, enough to fill 3 houses. Most of the furniture was from yard sales, flea markets, St. Vincent de Paul, and Further (Silver Lake).
- Concrete lamp (bedroom) and wall hanging (above the fireplace) by Artisan Mona Hoffman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Track lighting and vintage lamps
- "Linoleum City" for kitchen tiles
TILES & STONE
- Spanish tiles in main living room area
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.