I have to admit that when I got the Martha Stewart Holiday press kit, I thought that the collections seemed nice but a little boring. All in all, there's a lot to look through — she has five full holiday collections at five separate retailers! When I started to sift through all the stuff, however, it became clear to me that Martha's strength — when it comes to seasonal decor — is crafting. The DIY and project-based products are the standouts.
When I say "project-based products," I mean pretty much anything involving cooking, crafting, or DIY decorating. The Martha Stewart Crafts line at Michaels is great for anyone planning on giving homemade gifts or cards this year. There's an edge-puncher that makes gorgeous stationery without much skill required, and there are several cute boxes and bags for gifts of homemade cookies or candy.
Macy's also has some nice cookware and tabletop. The Woodland Park collection is a simplified take on Tord Boontje's layered patterns, and for bakers, there are some nice cute cookie cutters and molded tins.
The low point is her line for Home Depot. Although the collection includes some tasteful basics like white lights and simple wreaths, there are a few pieces that are outright tacky, like a fake frosted pinecone Christmas tree.
What do you think? Any first-hand takes on Martha's holidayware?
MARTHA STEWART 2010 HOLIDAY DECOR
• Martha Stewart Crafts at Michaels
• Martha Stewart Collection at Macy’s
• Martha Stewart Pets at PetSmart
• Martha Stewart Living at The Home Depot
• Martha Stewart Stationery for Crane & Co.
• Mini Ornaments, on sale for $4.50 for a box of 12 (reg. $9) at Macy's
• Holiday Cookie Cutters, $12.99 per set at Macy's
• Set of 4 Drink Glasses, $17 at Macy's
• Woodland Park Collection, on sale for $25 - $30 / regular $36 - $43
• Candy Cane Treat Boxes, $8 at Michaels
• Snowflake Punch Set, $25 at Michaels
• Pre-Lit Sparkling Pine Tree with Clear Lights, $199 at Home Depot
• Finial and Ball Candy Cane Ornaments, $22 per pack at Home Depot
• Woodland Ornament Wreath, $30 at Home Depot
• Tinsel Wreath Cards, $206 per personalized/engraved set at Crane & Company
• For all Holiday 2010 Sneak Peeks, click here.