Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I never thought I'd say it, but I love studio living. I'm surrounded by the things I truly love because I only have space for belongings that are meaningful and functional. Even though it's small, the separate rooms keep it from feeling cramped. I love having friends come over for dinner and when they do, it's always a party because it quickly fills up in here. Something about this place makes people feel like little kids in a tree house, so parties often go late into the night, with everyone lounging around on the giant bed watching movies together. It's unique and charming and tucked up on a hill so it's private and safe and gets a delightful breeze. I'm right next door to friends and down the street from even more. But truth be told, I love my dishwasher most of all.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Before I moved here, I was living in a 1400 square foot house. Because I'm stubborn, I absolutely refused to get rid of my oversized items, so the biggest challenge for me was finding a way to make all my huge furniture fit into one tiny room. But it's okay, I love a challenge. So I custom built shelving around the furniture to display my books, TV, record player and sentimental items. I also ditched the box springs and built a new king sized bed frame which makes for a lot of storage space underneath. There's only one tiny closet and too many shoes, so I built even more shelving up to the ceiling to maximize the space in there. When you live in one room, things tend to get cluttered quickly, and even a small pile of laundry can look like a mountain, so making sure everything has a place keeps things organized and prevents me from hoarding, which is great. It was definitely a challenge, but I'm proud to say, I built everything all by myself.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Two days after I moved in, this whole apartment complex became a full blown construction site. Scaffolding went up around my windows and covered my little backyard that I was so looking forward to using. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about it. But after almost a year, the construction ended, the scaffold came down and I finally have my yard back, which is pretty much destroyed. If I were to win, I would use the prize money to paint the brown trim in here white, get a new mattress, put up nice fencing, do some landscaping, lay sod on the dirt that's been ruined by foot traffic and get a projector to screen movies in the yard. And then, I'd finally throw the housewarming party I never got to have when I first moved in. I have big plans.
See all entries