We've been going a little nuts over tons of neons and bold colors in our indoor and outdoor spaces, but we don't want to forget that the eye (usually) needs a resting place or two in a room. Rather than fill those visual negative spaces with something plain, we're leaning toward a neutral-toned material that has depth and texture: mother of pearl.
Mother of pearl, also known as Nacre, is a material that comes from inner layer of shells from some mollusks and is the outer coating on pearls. Gorgeous and iridescent, it's actually a surprisingly strong material. Because of its very nature, you often see it in small details: on boxes, doorknobs and other fun details.
What makes it so exquisite is the subtle sheen it has; not like the obvious glitter of something metallic, something mother of pearl in your space will ever so slightly reflect light and catch one's eye. And its obvious connections to shells make them the perfect sort of spring/summer item to start collecting! Here are ten accessories we spotted with fun mother of pearl details that'd look good in a modernly decorated home:
1) Anthropologie Symbology Coasters $10
2) Mother of Pearl Mosaic Pot $25
3) Mother of Pearl Origami Polyhedron Candlesticks (actually made of paper, but we liked them so much) $36.50
4) Vintage Inlay Alabaster Hippie Box $11.50
5) Vintage Intricate Mother of Pearl Inlaid Wooden Box from Iran $35
6) Mother of Pearl Pill Box $10
7) Mother of Pearl Crackle Box $25
8) West Elm Mother of Pearl Boxes $34 - $49
9) Anthropologie Mother-Of-Pearl Knob $14
10) Urban Outfitters Beaded Mother of Pearl Hook $6
(Images: As credited above)