Name: Jaime Jennings & Matthew Brown, Looper, Lucy, and Sebastian
Location: Baker Historic District, Denver, Colorado
Size: 1,600 square feet
Years lived in: 4 months; Rent
Just four months ago Jaime and Matt moved from their small apartment in historic Baker to the house next door. While they didn't quite need 1,600 square feet of space, the natural light and open floor plan were very enticing.
Matt and Jaime are downright good people. I visited them just a day before they celebrated six years at their clothing and craft store in downtown Denver. They believe in supporting the arts and art education, and shopping local. As I toured their home I was impressed by how every compliment offered was received with the name of a friend, local store or designer responsible for the piece. They have a great collection of art and furniture that comes together to create their "Little House on the Prairie meets mid-century modern" vibe.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A blend of Little House on the Prairie and mid-century modern.
Inspiration: Farmhouse living, taxidermy, old things, textiles and prints, handicrafts, natural wood, men's clothing, cats. We are inspired by our friends and our local art and craft community.
Favorite Element: The exposed brick wall.
Biggest Challenge: We have a cat that pees on things, so we can't have anything fabric-like near the ground. No rugs, wooden stump tables, knit poufs, etc. Every piece of furniture we buy, we have to consider: could Sebastian pee on this without it being ruined?
What Friends Say: "Let me know if you ever move."
Biggest Embarrassment: The kitchen cabinets, countertops and vinyl flooring (we rent…)
Proudest DIY: Handmade quilts.
Biggest Indulgence: The gas fireplace that we keep on almost all winter long.
Best Advice: Take your time building your collection, and be creative. Look for your furniture and home décor in unlikely places, and don't be scared to invest in something timeless that will last.
Dream Sources: Our favorite cities we will probably never live in (San Miguel De Allende, Montreal, and Portland).
Resources of Note:
- • Re-made vintage chairs, paint is Benjamin Moore Regal in Adobe Orange semi gloss, fabric is by Melody Miller for Kokka (Fancy Tiger Crafts)
• Deer skull found on parents land in Nebraska
• Jaime's bag - by Billykirk from Fancy Tiger Clothing
• Matthew's backpack by Wheelmen and Co. from Fancy Tiger Clothing
• Sheep photo by Catherine Ledner
- • Reese sofa from Room and Board
• Coffee table - vintage
• Vintage Westnofa lounge chairs
• Mantle - (L to R) Knit cat by Amber Corcoran, Vintage Breyer horse, Deer piece by Elizabeth Soule, Ceramic bird by Brandy Gee, Taxidermy baby chick, Embroidery piece by Mary's Granddaughter
• Various pillows and fox doll handmade by Jaime, Moon pillow by Eleana Stokner, Owl pillow by Coral and Tusk
- • Vintage table and chairs
• Art collage with pieces by local artists: Ravi Zupa, Sara Guindon, Brittany Gould, Amber Corcoran, Amanda Marie, Joanna Mueller and Michael May - also a piece by Allyson Fox (Austin) and a vintage French needlepoint canvas by Frederique Morrell
- • Bed by west elm
• Quilt and pillow cases handmade by Jaime (fabric from Fancy Tiger Crafts)
• Animal pillows by Salvor
• Cat head art by Jaime - other art is vintage and from etsy
• Vintage breyer horses
- • Catherine Ledner Photography
• Katherine Rutler
• Parts and Labor Union
• Frederique Morrel
• Mary's Granddaughter
Thanks, Matt & Jaime!
(Images: Ashley Poskin )
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.