Name: Leela Cyd Ross
Started at Re-Nest: March 2011
Lives in: Portland, Oregon
Leela's fantastic photography skills are keenly felt in her lush Green Tours, which showcase homes from the Portland area, as well as in her bi-monthly column on Re-Nest, Creative People, Living Green. Passionate and always insightful, you can also find Leela blogging about food over on our sister site, The Kitchn.
You most enjoy writing about: I love that my writing for Re-Nest gets me out into the community of creatives in Portland, most of whom have sustainability in mind with their vision, passion and business—chefs, fashion designers, architects, artisans, farmers, teachers, visionaries—there is such a wonderful green ethos in Portland. I feel lucky in that I get to share their stories.
Your personal home style is: wacky traveler/thrifter meets crazy green thumb (my husband is obsessed with our huge collection of house plants!).
Your green home must-have is: a big yard for our edible garden, and the hammock to lounge in while enjoying our hard work!
Your ideal Saturday morning is: strong cup of assam tea with cream and brown sugar, Sam Cooke on the record player, tall stack of blueberry pancakes, bike to the farmer's market with a friend, shop our hearts out, relax and listen to live music, sample loads of fruits, then bike on home to whip up a rhubarb pie.
What's on your nightstand? too many cookbooks, the newspaper, paper and notepad (midnight ideas!), little white horse lamp from high school.
Where you go for inspiration/info/help: I am inspired by a rotating list of blogs, magazines and books. Here are a couple current favorites in each category:
- Magazines: Martha Stewart, Juxtapoz, National Geographic, Gastronomica
- Blogs/sites: the selby, This is Glamorous, Like a Strawberry Milk
- Books: Decorate by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Veganomicon, anything by David Sedaris.
DIY or buy? DIY all the way. Most of our furniture is modified stuff from the thrift store, vintage shops, or my personal favorite, Portland's ever-plentiful curbside. People leave really good pieces out to take here (hello Eames chair and pair of Marc Jacobs jeans!).
Favorite CFL or LED lightbulb brand? Phillips (lasts a long time!)
Favorite green paint brand and color? Yolo Colorhouse paints, petal .05. The creators of these paints live about 5 blocks from me. They make a beautiful product and will be featured soon in my Creative People, Living Green series.
In 2011 you're going to: Dream big, work hard and try to see plenty as enough.
Posts from Leela
• Erin Sutherland and Lodekka, the Vintage Dress Bus
• Green Tour: Emily's Magical Homemade Home
• Timothy Wastell, Chef at DOC
• Beret Halverson, Program Coordinator at OSU's Master Gardener Program
• Green Tour: Cissy and Richard's Daring House by the Sea
• Green Tour: Jennifer and Jason's Elegant Portland Craftsman
• Lisa Jones of Pigeon Toe Ceramics and Homewares
• Green Tour: Jessica and Jered's Solar-Heated Stylish Home
• Emily Christensen of Filly Designs
• Green Tour: Adrian and Gregg's Open Inviting Home
(Images: Leela Cyd Ross)