Blogger: Michelle Chin
Started at Re-Nest: August 2010
Lives in: Los Angeles, CA
A photographer and designer by trade (with a fondness for vintage/thrift store decor), Michelle has spent the last 18 months renovating two apartments and learning how to do everything from repair roofing and siding to installing sinks and toilets! She often shares her green home expertise with us in home repair project tutorials, like this one on refurbishing vintage stove knobs.
You most enjoy writing about: DIY, How-To, Creative Reuse
Your personal home style is: Thrift Store Modern
Your green home must-have is: Great insulation!
Your ideal Saturday morning is: Sleeping in, then taking care of all my errands and chores so the rest of the weekend is a breeze.
What's on your nightstand? Cell phone, Macbook Pro, books on User Experience Design and, likely, a cat.
Where you go for inspiration/info/help? LA Times Home Section, Treehugger, Readymade and Make Magazine. But really, most inspiration comes randomly through Google searches when I encounter a problem I'm trying to solve.
Favorite CFL or LED lightbulb brand? My CFLs all come from IKEA. They have so many sizes, are affordable and offer in-store recycling receptacles. For LED, I am in LOVE with the Feit Electric Multi-Color LED Party Bulb. It has a button to switch between static colors or two rotating color displays.
Favorite green paint brand and color? I've used AFM Safecoat a lot for crafting projects. Generally in clear, satin finish.
This year you're going to: After spending the past year making my triplex livable, it's time add some curb appeal and turn the scrubby front garden into an outdoor living space.
Posts by Michelle
• How To Refurbish a Vintage Stove Knob in 5 Easy Steps
• How To Refill a Vintage Makeup Compact
• DIY Natural Soap: Easier Than You Think!
• Preserving Your Herbs: Choosing the Best Spice Jars
• Function and Form: Vintage Enamel Cookware
• How To Install a Composite Tile Floor
• How To Patch Drywall: Easier Than It Looks!
• 5 Ways to Use Galvanized Stock Tanks as Planters
• 5 Sweet, Sustainable Bamboo Bird Feeders
• 10 Green Gifts for the Home Renovator
(Images: see linked posts for full image credits)