The new electrical panel.
Name: Meg and Josh
Type of Project: Mudroom/Breakfast Nook remodel
Location: Chinook, Washington
Type of building: Single-Family Home, 1,000 square feet
The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
When the dust from demo finally settled, we were able to take in our hard work. Staring at the open layout, we knew we had made the right decision in opening the mudroom to the rest of the space, and so far our hard work hadn't come crashing down on us. But, even with that success, the hardest part was still staring us right in the face.
The old, mysterious panels.
We decided to take this opportunity to update our electrical panel, which is located in the mudroom. Our panel was actually a combination of two panels that housed all of the breakers for the house. The original panel was the old push button breaker type and the newer panel (which had no door) had the more modern breakers. Both were a bit scary — plus, since they were poorly labeled, we never really knew what each controlled.
Josh weighed the benefits of doing it ourselves, but the fear of burning our house down kept us in check. A good DIY rule of thumb that we like to live by — if it puts your house in danger, leave it to the professionals. So rather than installing a new panel box ourselves we chose to call in a local electrical company to do the work. A couple hours' work and an invoice for $700 was slightly disheartening, but the peace of mind that the job was done right was well worth it.
Our go-to resource, The Complete Guide to Wiring by Black & Decker.
With the panel in place and labeled (!), we applied for permits for the rest of the electrical work, which we ARE tackling ourselves. This will involve adding lighting, electrical boxes and finally wiring our above-the-stove microwave which has been mounted — with no power source — for the past year.
Washing machine and dryer outlets.
With a visit from Josh's Dad over the weekend, the two were able to get a good start on the electrical. They tackled the mudroom wall, installed separate outlets for the washing machine and dryer, and added a utility outlet. Plus, with the bathroom wall exposed they did me a solid and wired a new vanity light and a new switch/outlet for the bathroom, which was desperately needed in that small, dark little room.
The mudroom wall - with newly installed housings.
Another week down — another week closer to our goal. In the coming weeks, we'll be building the half-wall and the laundry closet and then finishing up the wiring. With those built in features, the room should finally be taking shape.
Estimated time for project: 8 weeks
Time remaining: 6 weeks
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for installment #6 of Meg and Josh's Mudroom Renovation.
(Images and diary text: Meg Padgett)
More posts in this series
Renovation Diary: Meg and Josh's Mudroom