Name: Meg and Josh
Type of Project: Mudroom/Breakfast Nook remodel
Location: Chinook, Washington
Type of building: Single-Family Home, 1,000 square feet
The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
It's been a ridiculously busy week and we have a lot to show for it. With the electrical inspection under our belt, we were finally able to move into the finishing phase of our Mudroom/Nook project. And move, did we ever.
We spent our first day of summer break heaving huge sheets of drywall on our walls and ceiling. Luckily, we rented a drywall lift to make the ceiling application painless — although it did have a bit of a learning curve. Before we knew it, the bare walls were covered and the space was finally starting to come together. While I tackled the three coats of sanding/mudding (seriously, I hate having to repeat that process), Josh got started building the built-in benches.
He was just about to mount the first bench in the nook when he pulled up the old flooring and found some pretty awful water damage. Not at all surprising — we've experienced lots of fun discoveries — but disheartening to say the least. Fortunately, the damage only affected the old subfloor, so he cut out all the old plywood and replaced it with new.
Now, I'm not the cleanest painter, so before we started installing the flooring we broke out our painting supplies and primed and painting the drywall — ceiling and all. With a few fresh coats of paint, Josh and my ever helpful brother pulled up all the old flooring, readied it for new and started installing. It was a lot harder than we expected, but the results are amazing.
We killed it this week, and our space is finally looking close to being finished. With less than a week before my brother Josh leaves for Alaska, we still have a few finishing items to complete — poly on the floor and installing and painting trim. Here's hoping we can get it all wrapped up in three days!
Estimated time for project: 8 weeks
Time remaining: 3 days
(Images and diary text: Meg Padgett)