- Minneapolis, MN
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- This pre-war apartment has a ton of details: leaded glass built-in cabinets, crown molding, and glass doorknobs that I simply adore. The layout, while small, isn't awkward in the least, and the landlord gave me free rein to paint the walls. I've learned to reupholster and have had a lot of fun breathing new life into several pieces of furniture. It feels like home.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Don't be afraid to display functional items. I have no pantry to speak of and am an avid baker, so decided that pretty glass canisters were the way to store my often-used staples. The same is true for my books, jewelry, etc.
2. Keep only what you use - I am mostly paper-free at this point, and frequent relocations (Washington, North Carolina, Minnesota, and soon-to-be Atlanta in the last 10 years) mean I constantly assess my belongings to determine whether they are worth keeping.
3. I favor oversized, sentimental prints to adorn my walls. Not only are they a great way to fill space without cluttering it, but they remind me of great times and experiences - for example, I blew up a meticulously handwritten recipe from my grandmother (who passed away when I was 14) to hang above my kitchen sink. Or the street art I stumbled upon from The Eggplant Kid during my travels in Tel Aviv. It makes the space exude my personality and life.
ATVideo of the Day