Name: Melisa & Julien
Location: Little Italy; Montreal, Canada
Size: 850 square feet
Years lived in: 5 years
“I love the fact that our style keeps evolving and changing —just like us,” Melisa said when I asked what their style says about them. She had not yet met Julien when she moved in, and her main goal was a space that was versatile and easy to upkeep. The space has evolved nicely in the time since.
Now that they are both in this space, they love it. Having the food market a short walk away has become an important part of their lifestyle, something neither of them had given much thought to before. “Now it’s hard to consider ever leaving this area!” they both admit.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern Art Deco – we keep trying to be minimalist but it never quite works out!
Inspiration: Wandering around.
Favorite Element: Our living room. It's small, but open – and we can manage to seat quite a few when we want to!
Biggest Challenge: Being at the lower level of a duplex, we have very little natural light. We are still working on finding the perfect mix of ambient lighting to compensate.
What Friends Say: I don’t think I ever asked…
Biggest Embarrassment: When people suddenly notice that our kitchen tile is pink! Somehow it blends in at first, but when you finally notice it, there is no denying its there.
Proudest DIY: My shoe shelf(s)!
Biggest Indulgence: The Lambert & Fils light fixtures. The living room fixture was love at first site. The dining fixture is custom.
Best Advice: Learn how you use your space before making any changes — there are things I wanted to change when we moved in that I would do completely differently now.
Dream Sources: Traveling and exploring — My favorite items are from wandering around stores in random neighborhoods. And HomeSense.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- BRAND: Benjamin Moore
- COLOR: White in the kitchen, dining, living, hall and bedroom.
- BRAND: Behr Robin’s egg blue in the front hall and Light Nougat (I think) in the bathroom
- Framed vintage wallpaper and breeree San Francisco print
- 100% Wool carpet, HomeSense
- Collected hooks and an old mirror frame to make a coat rack
- Umbrella rack is…I can’t remember what its called, but its what they put on roofs to break up the snow before it falls.
- Umbra conceal book shelf
- Atomium light, Lambert & Fils
- Brass floors light stolen from my parents basement and sprayed
- Vintage Wood and leather chair
- Eames chair ; Must love furniture
- Coffee table: My grandmothers, that I painted
- Mirror: Vintage, Paris
- Large painting: Sarah Shell of 442McAdam
- Porcelain candle holder and succulent vase ; our friend made these for our wedding. The candle holder was actually the ring bearers “pillow”
- Light, Lambert & Fils, Montreal
- Tulip table ; Must love furniture, Montreal
- Chairs; Old diner chairs from the vintage store on Parc in front of Buvette chez Simone, recovered
- Copper watering can: Kontextur design
- We scoured the city for the perfect vanity…and settled for Ikea. It has the most efficient design and storage.
- Crate and Barrel basket
- Hansgrohe faucets
- CeraGres tiles
Thanks, Melisa and Julien!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!