- Portland, OR
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I decorated it really cute so that when people come over they think I have my life together, when really it's just a thin veneer of elegance to hide the roiling mess underneath. If you really wanna know what my personality is like, LOOK IN THE CLOSETS (please don't).
I just moved from LA and miss the sun, and this place gets lots of light, which I love. I also love how the windows perfectly frame the lack of gunshots and stumbling drunk people at night. I'll always love you, Los Angeles, but the breakup was for the best.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Proportional furniture.
2) Live in a much smaller space beforehand, one so small that you come home and the front door, when opened, hits the back wall of your place. One so small that you have to keep your cat's litter box in the fridge. One so small that you have to hang the TV outside the window because it doesn't fit in the place. At night, you rock back and forth and hold yourself in your Murphy bed, muttering "need more space...need more space" while you fantasize about dreamy, shirtless Nate Berkus sweeping you away on his Pegasus to his palatial mid-century mansion in the woods. You wake up the next morning and your cat has literally gone insane, spinning in place and mewling softly, cooing, forever cooing for more square footage. (Then when you move to your next place it seems even bigger).
3) Light-colored paint.