Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I'm an artist, designer, and writer, as you can probably guess from my floor plan, and my place is the perfect cocoon for being creative. I used to live in a smaller unit in the building, and decorated it pretty darn nice. So when the tenants in this unit moved out (they had it decorated in "squalor chic"), it was easy to convince my awesome landlord to upgrade the floors, the ceiling fixtures, the window treatments... and let me pick them out! If it's not a lot of square footage, it doesn't take a big investment from her to make a huge return in the future, when she rents it out after I leave. The small space also forces me to curate (overused word of the decade) really carefully, and make smart choices about what I bring into it.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- The smaller the space, the bigger the impact things like wall color, furniture size and placement, and "clutter level" on surfaces have. I picked up a lot about decorating from my mom, but she usually decorates in a Spanish colonial style, and tends towards really dense tablescapes (I just made my mom sound like a hoarder, didn't I?). I've had to learn to restrain myself, since with my mid century/danish modern style, less is more. I compare it to the rule of accessories with outfits: put it all on, and then take two things away! One's home shouldn't be "peacocking".
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- My personal style has changed a lot since I put my place together, and since I'm moving soon, I'm going to keep the best of what I have and replace a lot of the more recent pieces with vintage finds. I love (LOVE.) my wall sculpture that was rescued from being thrown out in the trash, but I would dig hunting for an actual vintage C. Jere piece with the prize money. Preferably not from a dumpster this time.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013