Midwest #8: The "Wretched to Retro" Project

Midwest #8: The "Wretched to Retro" Project

64c0014d769edbb2dba39793a0aea10406ac7c6e?w=240&h=240&fit=crop
Janel Laban
Jan 25, 2008
Name: Will and Marie Location: Dayton, Ohio Time: 2 weekends Cost: $120. (including cost of furniture) Will and Marie went glossy, colorful and mod with their project. Aside from the super photos, they have submitted carefully detailed DIY instructions - Jump below for all the pics, tools, how-to and VOTING...
BEFORE
Tell us the tools and resources you used for the project: TOOLS - Palm Sander/Sandpaper (medium to fine grit) - Sponge brushes/Paint Brushes - Screw Driver - Staple Gun (1/2 inch staples) - Pliers RESOURCES - 2 Quarts High Gloss Enamel/Latex Paint (Red) - 1 Quart High Gloss Enamel/Latex Paint (Black) - 1 Gallon Latex Primer (White) - High Gloss Spray Paint (Black) - Wallpaper - Modge-Podge/Paper Glue
MY TOOLS
Share step by step instructions for how you completed the project: 1. Disassemble This piece consisted of two main parts, drawers on the bottom and a hutch with shelves and a sliding front panel on top. We began by separating these two pieces; for the hutch we removed the front panel (before the "before" picture was taken), and the back board (which was attached with old rusted staple-nails, which we discarded). We then removed all of the drawers from the bottom piece, removed the feet from the bottom, and unscrewed the hardware from each drawer - which consisted of a knob and a black backing plate. 2. Sand It was necessary to lightly sand the entire piece, in order to provide a porous, adhesive surface that the primer and paint might stick to. We used a medium to fine grit with the palm sander for all the parts. To get into the nooks and crannies we sanded by hand. 3. Prime We used simple sponge brushes to apply the primer. We found that 3 coats of primer yielded a surface that was adequately covered. Having a smooth surface helped immensely with the painting process by cutting down on the layers of paint needed to overcome 'blotchiness'. 4. Tape We decided to paint the piece black and red. Since the majority of the piece would be red, that's what we started with. So, we carefully taped off all of the parts to be painted black. 5. Red Paint We used wide and medium width sponge brushes to thinly layer on the paint. We wanted a bold, lacquered look to the piece, so it took about seven coats to get the look we wanted. However, we feel the end product is definitely worth the effort. 6. Tape After letting the red paint "cure" for a day, we carefully removed the tape, using an exacto knife to help keep the edges clean. After all the tape was removed, we then covered and taped off the red edges. 7. Black Paint Like the red paint, we also wanted the black paint to have a lacquered finish. Fortunately, since the color was so opaque, it took only four coats. Again, we used sponge brushes to apply the thin coats, with the exception of the last two coats on the counter top. We stood the bottom piece up and applied the last two coats thickly with a nylon bristle brush. This was done so that as the very wet paint dried, it would settle, filling in any brush strokes left by the brush, and dry into a smooth, flat surface. While the paint dried, we continued with the hardware and wallpaper. 8. Spray Paint Hardware Each knob was a brushed-silver, with a black back plate. To brighten up the knobs, we lightly sanded them with a fine 1000 grit sand paper. Not too heavy, so as not to create any deep scratches. We then gathered up the six back plates and painted them with three light coats of high-gloss spray paint. 9. Wall Paper We decided to apply decorative paper to the backboard of the top piece in order to break up the stark black and red combination, and to incorporate geometric movement. We chose wallpaper for its heavy weight, vinyl finish, and variety of available patterns. However, a contact or other decorative paper would also be suitable. In order to hide the seams of the paper, we cut four horizontal pieces for each shelf opening. For each section, we thinly applied the Modge-Podge glue with a sponge brush to backboard, and quickly set the paper on, carefully smoothing any bubbles out to the edges. 10. Reassemble After letting the black paint dry, we carefully removed the painter's tape with the exacto knife. We then secured the backboard to the hutch using a staple gun with 1/2 inch staples. We reattached the feet to the dresser, and hardware to the dresser drawers. Next, we matched the hutch to the counter top of the dresser and secured it with the original brackets and screws on the backside. Finally, we popped the front sliding panel back into the hutch. Voila!
DURING
AFTER
More posts in Do it Now! The January Jumpstart Contest 2008 - Midwest
Created with Sketch.