Mike & Sandie's Foyer: Building Back Up

Renovation Diary

Pin it button big
Pin it button big

Name: Mike and Sandie
Type of Project: Foyer renovation
Location: Saskatoon; Saskatchewan, Canada
Type of building: 2 1/2 story single-family home, built in 1919

The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

It only took a week, but 95% of construction and repairs are now complete. The closet is framed and drywall is up, huzzah! Excitement is growing daily as the new space is taking shape. It’s great to have the closet in, and envision the gained storage, as well as be finished with the ceiling repairs (bye-bye popcorn stipling!). It feels like we’re gaining momentum.

Framing for the new closet.
Pin it button big
The closet drywall complete.
Pin it button big

Instead of building the closet, we considered opting for a Victorian hall-tree look on the south wall with big iron hooks and chunky paneling... but ultimately the allure of tidy sophistication won. It’s a relief to have built the extra “hide-away” storage for the winter gear. (Snowshoes are very pretty, but for our two short glorious months of summer the last thing we want to see is any hint of our winter wonderland). The old “built in” bench was mediocre for storage — this closet is better by a long shot. There's more space, with room to neatly hang up coats, and a shelf up top to boot.

Pin it button big
Pin it button big

About that creaky old bench: after removing the bench, we made a small alteration to the front panel so it mimics the triangular panels above, and it is now attached to the staircase paneling. A feel-good element of our design is reusing materials: it took a bit more care and attention (i.e. time) than using new moldings would have, but our love is imbedded in there now. It kinda looks crappy at the moment in its patchwork state, but have faith dear reader! She will look dazzling mere weeks from now.

Ceiling drywall/repairs.
Pin it button big
Ceiling repairs complete.
Pin it button big

The sad post (previously all notched and in disrepair) got new cladding at the base. We’re still hoping to re-stain the post (not paint it out), and possibly attach some fancy trim pieces after the flooring is in and we see what she looks like in her new habitat (over-planning isn’t our strong suit — best to allow it to unfold in the process).

Also, the extra 5% of construction remains to do: priming the drywall, framing the closet doors, and painting the ceiling. Compared to what we just did (dusty dusty dusty dirty dirty forever messy), it should be a cakewalk.

Estimated time for project: 10 weeks
Time remaining: 6 weeks

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for installment #7 of Mike and Sandie's Foyer Renovation.

(Images and diary text: Mike and Sandie)

More posts in this series

Renovation Diary: Mike & Sandie's Foyer

15 Comments