Mini Velo bikes are head turners. Their pint-sized dimension stirs curiosity, and their appearance causes heated style debates. Born out of the necessity of storing bikes in the compact apartments of countries like South Korea, mini velo bikes are now making a quiet debut here in the United States. Read more for details.
The concept of the mini velo is simple, a full-sized bike built on the compact 20" wheels of a folding bike for easy storage. As a result, mini velos fit easily in closets and even under beds. What sets these bikes apart from existing small-wheeled bikes (folding bikes, BMX bikes) is their unique road bike styling cues: drop handlebars, double diamond frames and thin performance tires.
Fun facts about mini velos:
• Soma Fabrication of San Francisco now offers a complete mini velo in the USA
• Traditional heritage brands like Bianchi and Gios offer mini velos in Asia
• Sillgey Cycles makes a popular fixed gear model called the Piccolo
• Dahon makes a performance oriented model that folds, the Dash X20
• The handling is stable due to using full size bike geometry
• Their low stand over height makes fit more universal
• Fits in closets and some models fit under beds
Buy it! U.S. market: Soma or Dahon.
(Images: Bianchi, Gios, Sillgey, Dahon, Soma)