Name: Misako and Doug
Location: Upper West Side — New York, New York
Size: 850 square feet
Years lived in: 3 — owned
Misako is a Canadian born designer who designs custom stationery and paper goods. She has a background in Architecture and Landscape Architecture, which pretty much means she's got the skills to pull any kind of space together. Her apartment is a lot like her stationery — unique; with a creative mix of mediums resulting in really beautiful, elegant, well-crafted work. Doug works in commercial real estate. That, of course, means that he listens to Misako when it comes to design aesthetics. I'd say it was a perfect match!
Their home is a generously sized one bedroom, prewar deco co-op with arched doorways, original fixtures, ironwork and gorgeous casement windows. Their style is mix of uptown and downtown, possibly because they started dating while living in Greenwich Village and Soho, but for the past four years have been uptown on the Upper West Side. Their apartment feels classic but relaxed with contemporary touches curated by Misako and Doug.
Misako is also an avid baker and cook. In the kitchen, she is constantly testing and inventing new dishes for dinner parties attended by lucky friends and a semi-regular knitting circle. The home functions beautifully for parties with a hidden galley "cook's" kitchen with tons of counter space, yet maintains a great flow to the open plan living area. The apartment gets tons of natural light via the beautiful windows that occupy most of their northern wall, with views to a classic scene of New York City rooftops and lots of sky. Though they love their home, the apartment is on the market as the couple is in need of a larger space.
Resources of Note:
- • The kitchen is outfitted with a dishwasher, microwave, convection oven and refrigerator - all stainless steel GE Profile...mvp's: le creuset dutch oven+ 12" all -clad stainless steel pan and the a/c in the summer
- • Custom made shelving unit made by Misako's uncle as a wedding gift for the happy couple. (Its frame and supports are welded steel, and clad in cherry wood)
- • Eames Lounge chair!...best seat in the house
- • A combination of design shops, flea markets and Doug's mom, Ellen Neye, curator for The Gathering Place, a non-profit benefitting the a cancer center in Cleveland, Ohio. Our most prized items are gifts from family and friends
- • The author of this article, Gregory Sparks! We also love our Keith Haring.
Thanks, Misako and Doug!
Images: Gregory Sparks
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.