Name: Mitchell White
Location: Livingston, Tennessee
Size: 1100 square feet
Years lived in: 5 — rented
Mitch's house is in the heart of a very small town in rural Tennessee, but he himself has traveled the world — and his home reflects that. An accomplished artist and teacher, he brings a classic, timeless look to a very old home with beautiful bones.
When not painting or teaching, Mitch spends his time in the Clark House — a renovated home-turned-reception hall, where he does floral design for events. He also played a huge role in its renovation, including hand painting a Zuber-inspired mural in the foyer.
Mitch's artistry helps his home to stand out among other homes in his area. He has a strong sense of heritage, and many of his collected pieces are family heirlooms. You won't be able to find many chipboard or laminate pieces here—and you probably won't be able to trace any of his rooms back to a spread in a catalog—but you will find yourself in a home that has been carefully curated and filled with beautiful things that represent the very unique and talented resident.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Traditional, classic, and eclectic.
Inspiration: My biggest inspiration is my aunt, my mother's sister. She has great taste in decorating and entertaining. I'm also inspired by things I see when I travel. My home has a lot of European influences, particularly Italian.
Favorite Element: The windows and French doors and all of the light that they allow into the space.
Biggest Challenge: Striking a balance between the elements I like to use that feel a bit too large in a smaller space.
What Friends Say: My friends say that they like to come to my house and spend time looking at things; there are a lot of details.
Biggest Embarrassment: I don't have one… I love every part of my house, warts and all.
Proudest DIY: The mural in the bathroom that's loosely based on a Florence Broadhurst wallpaper design.
Biggest Indulgence: Paintings and prints.
Best Advice: If you have an idea that seems a little crazy, don't be afraid to do it. Make your space your own.
Dream Sources: Estate sales and auction catalogs.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
All are Porter paints
• Kitchen : Roasted Red Pepper
• Dining and Living Room : Bamboo
• Guest Room : River Reed
• Master Bedroom : Custom mixture by me (I think it was Silver Pine by Porter with a dash of cobalt blue and turquoise acrylic)
• Bathroom : Custom mixtures
• Couch and chairs : local furniture store, 16 years ago!
• Armoire : antique store
• Rug : estate sale
• Painting over fireplace : I painted it in 2003.
• Contemporary watercolors over antique washstand : Painted by me
• Large landscape on wall over couch : Painted by me
• Pheasant : belonged to my uncle
• Bookshelves : custom built for house
• Rugs : estate sales
• Art : Small framed menu covers are from an August 1957 crossing of the Queen Mary and the painting is by me.
• Table : family heirloom
• Chairs : Pottery Barn
• Side table : custom made
• Chippendale bench : antique store
• Japanned cabinet : estate sale
• Antique coffee grinder : from my aunt
• Art : my reproduction of an original John Singer Sargent
• Bed : antique store
• Desk : estate sale
• Portrait : by me
• Antique map of Italy : picked up in Florence a few years ago
• Corner Chair : antique store
• Paintings : by me
• Circular mirror : antique store
• Bed : family piece given to me by my parents
• Table : from grandparents
• Art : purchased over the years from exhibits and shows
• Art : original landscape by me
• Antique phone : from aunt
• Rug : estate sale
• Table : antique store
• Art : my reproduction of an original by John Singer Sargent
Images: Sarah Dobbins
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.