I grew up using cotton napkins, and my mom instituted a simple system to help us claim them and our spot at the dinner table: color coding. My napkin was deep purple (all the better to hide stains). These days it seems there are even more cloth napkins readily available to bring color to the table. Here are some options for mixing and matching.
I remember my mom had a hard time finding a store that sold sets of four napkins of different colors. Today independent sellers are more easily accessible and generally happy to tailor your order if you want a specific number of napkins or a mix of patterns. Also, several of the options below are sold individually.
1. Tomato napkins by beyond her, 4 for $24
2. Mason jar organic cotton napkins by Oh, Little Rabbit, 2 for $10
3. Spruce floral napkins from Marigold Fair Trade Clothing, $4.50 each
4. Orange floral block print napkins from Dolma Designs, 2 for $14
5. Jet napkins by Mika&Bu, 2 for $7
6. Fair trade napkins from Chinaberry, 4 for $19.95
7. Guatemalan cotton napkins from Green Living, $3.99 each
8. White twigs napkins by JuliePeach, 2 for $16
9. Polar bear napkins by Katherine J Lee, 2 for $24
10. Birch tree napkins by Oh, Little Rabbit, 2 for $10
(Images: as linked)