One of our favorite elements to Rene’s Bright and Sunny Artistic home
was her intelligent, inspiring, and expertly mixed patterns throughout her space. We’ve definitely been seeing this trend in both homes and fashion lately, and have gathered some of our favorite tips…
Mixing patterns can lead to interesting and layered spaces, and can be done quite easily by utilizing different fabrics and upholstery on your favorite home furniture pieces and accessories. If you’ve been a little nervous to take the plunge lately, here are some of our favorite mixing pattern tips.
- Find inspiration to start Choosing one fabric or pattern you really love to be your main pattern will help you find coordinating patterns. Whether your main fabric adorns your couch, your wall or something else is up to you
- Using an odd number of patterns Choosing 3 or 5 fabric patterns works better in spaces and will seem intentional
- Choose something in common Maybe it’s one color, or the same color intensity (like all earth tones, jewel tones etc) or perhaps it’s a concept like nature---choosing something in common will help connect all the various patterns in your space
- Spread the visual weight around Don’t plop all the pattern down on one corner of a sofa, spread the patterns throughout the room
- Texture as a pattern An easy way to add a lot interest is by using solid colored fabrics with a great texture, which will add to the layered feel of your space
- Vary style and scale Don’t do all large scale patterns or all small scale, mix it up with patterns of all scales
If you are more interested in the opposite trend of extreme matching patterns, make sure and check out the post Return of a Trend? Extreme Matching.
What are your favorite mixing pattern tips and ideas? Have you successfully mixed different patterns in your own home? Have you ever tried to mix patterns and the results came out unexpected (and maybe not so great)? Tell us about your mixing pattern experiences!